Search This Blog

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Venerable Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

JMJ

Besties! I am incredibly excited because I have found a new Patron Saint! He is not yet (he soon will be, COUNT ON IT) canonized as a saint, but I had a great new revelation on Tuesday that he is praying for me and has been for some time!

Archbishop Fulton Sheen is a new hero of mine. His thundering Irish accent and theatrical presentation of truth make for an incredibly captivating role model. I look up to him and his powerful drive to teach the catechism of our Faith. The first I ever heard of this man was by chance when someone at the Newman Center directed me to an article in a magazine last semester (I believe it was Envoy Magazine). I didn't pay too much attention to Sheen until the other day when I "randomly"decided to watch some of his YouTube videos...

Temptation


Click on the links for Temptation Part II and Part III

He had TV shows in the 50s and 60s that actually competed with comedian Milton Berle's show, and Frank Sinatra's show as well, for ratings! Incredible for a Catholic, even at that time. Everyone seemed to love this man, he had more non-Catholic viewers than Catholic viewers (der w-what!?) That's unheard of today. Obviously he stole my attention immediately!

Wasting Your Life


Click on the links for Wasting Your Life Part II and Part III

I really can't explain my connection with the man to the extent that I feel inside, so I will simply say that I relate to his intensity, his passion, and even some of his struggles. He was a man after God's heart; his deep love for his audience and the nation is so evident from his extreme emphasis on the relevant issues of the time! But that is not to say that his teachings were out-dated because each and every talk I've listened to applies directly to the issues of TODAY. He not only taught the truth but he warned his listeners of what was to come in the future; the intensely secular world we live in today. His prophesy couldn't be more correct. He was a true evangelist, a forerunner for the New Evangelization, and we should be asking for his intercession as we work for the Lord, to win the souls of our brothers and sisters in Christ!

Bye now and God Love You!

No comments:

Post a Comment